Sunday, January 17, 2010

Take This Tune: Heartbroke, Anybody?

This week at Take This Tune, an occasional contributor who goes by the nom de clavier of Fairweather posted a live version of Emmylou Harris’s song "Heartbreak Hill", then added this:

"Now as you know, my field of preference is classic country and bluegrass, and we've got a blue goodelin' of songs about heartbreak--but it's also a constant theme in other genres, from jazz, blues, rock, classical/opera.

So--what is your favorite song about heartbreak, and why? Start writing~~Fairweather "

Well, in between blowing my nose, fixing Mom’s supper, and letting Blackadder in and out of the house (he still seems to think the moon’s near the full), I remembered this one—and added tears to the mix. This one also seemed appropriate because it rained in the knobs all day today. (Good thing too; thanks to that interminable arctic cold snap, we’re already two inches down on our rainfall total for the month.)

The Everly Brothers, "Crying in the Rain"



Even on the funny, fast Felice and Boudleaux Bryant songs at which they excelled, the Everly Brothers could melt your heart with their angelic harmonies; this song, written by Carole King and Howard Greenfield, can break that same heart.

Take This Tune is a weekly meme hosted by my friend and fellow music lover Jamie. Each week she posts a song and invites you to blog about your thoughts about or reactions to the piece. If you’d like to participate, please click on the Take This Tune link above. Full instructions are given there.

2 comments:

  1. I managed to wade into the stream of heartbreak this week with one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite Country singers, Steve Wariner. It was just hard picking out which one to use as he's got so many that "speak" to me.

    The Everly Brothers are definitely an excellent choice, too! I just love a good harmony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Righteous Brothers blow my dress up. My favorite would be Unchained Melody. But, Everly Brothers work :-)

    This Eclectic Life

    ReplyDelete